The Surgical Technician is responsible for scrubbing on surgical cases in the operating room and assisting nursing staff in preparing the operating room for surgery.
Director of Nursing
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to direction from the practitioner and the nursing staff.
- Assist in preparing the OR for surgical cases.
- Scrub for cases as assigned.
- Gown and glove self and others.
- Drape patient.
- Maintain a sterile field.
- Perform appropriate counts with circulating nurse.
- Wash and sterilize instruments for surgical cases.
- Notify the Director of Nursing of supply needs, instruments that need repair and/or other problems with equipment or supplies.
- Record changes to surgeons’ preference cards.
- Terminally sterilize instruments and equipment, and documents same.
- Inspect and rotate sterile supplies.
- Clean and stock the OR as necessary.
- Use supplies in a cost effective manner.
- Respond to Center emergencies as appropriate.
- Participate in training of new OR personnel.
- Arrive for duty promptly.
- Exhibit a professional and courteous manner in dealing with all patients, practitioners, colleagues and visitors.
- Participate in Center committees as assigned.
- Adhere to Center policies, including, without limitation, those regarding HIPAA (patient privacy) and the Patient Safety Act.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Graduate of accredited surgical technician training program.
- Previous OR experience, preferably in an ambulatory setting.
Other Qualifications and Considerations
- Occasional need to lift heavy objects and assist in lifting patients; duties require twisting, reaching and pushing objects from light to heavy weights.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Potential exposure to disruptive or uncontrollable patients or visitors.
- Handle potentially dangerous materials.
- May have unanticipated need to work overtime.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Frequent need to stand/walk for long periods of time.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org