The following positions are available:
- Pre-Op/PACU Nurse
- OR Nurse
Status: Full time, Part time, Per Diem
Overview: The OR and Pre-Op/PACU Nurse performs various clinical activities related to the care of Center patients before, during and after surgery.
Reports To: Director of Nursing.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect and record data regarding the physiologic and psychologic health of patients in a systematic manner.
- Review diagnostic tests and patient health history information for abnormalities.
- Report unusual findings to Director of Nursing as appropriate.
- Complete event reports as necessary.
- Verify patient identification.
- Prepare patients for surgery by assisting them, when necessary, in changing to an OR gown, etc.
- Start IVs as may be necessary.
- Participate in surgeries and assist in the OR.
- Assess patient level of pain tolerance pre- and postoperatively.
- Administer drugs and other agents as directed by the practitioner or anesthesiologist.
- Monitor patient vital signs at various stages of care.
- Maintain knowledge for safe and effective use of various pieces of equipment used in the Pre-Op and PACU areas, including, but not limited to: IV therapy equipment, cardiac monitors and defibrillator, glucometer, pulse oximeter and blood pressure monitor.
- In recovery phase, evaluate patient readiness for discharge.
- Determine patient’s/parent’s ability to understand and retain instructions.
- Instruct patients and/or adult companions as appropriate regarding post-discharge care.
- Record findings and patient data on appropriate Center forms in a timely manner; use and enter data into Center information system as appropriate.
- Adhere to all Center policies and procedures, including, without limitation, those relating to HIPAA (patient privacy) and the Patient Safety Act.
- Participate on Center committees as assigned.
- Administer various questionnaires to patients.
- Respond to Center emergencies as appropriate.
- Assure that emergency equipment is available and functioning.
- Exhibit a professional and courteous approach to all patients, practitioners, colleagues and visitors.
- Use supplies in a cost effective manner.
- Arrive for duty promptly.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing; valid, current PA license.
- Previous pre-op/PACU experience, preferably in an ambulatory setting.
Other Qualifications and Considerations
- Occasional need to lift heavy objects or assist in lifting patients; extended periods of standing/walking; twisting, reaching for and pushing of light to heavy weight objects.
- Current Pennsylvania nursing license.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- BLS and/or ACLS and/or PALS certification as required by Director of Nursing.
- Ability to speak, write and read English.
- Potential exposure to disruptive or uncontrollable patients.
- Handle potentially dangerous materials.
- May require unanticipated need to work beyond scheduled shift due to patient care needs.
To apply for this job please visit Harleysville,%20PA.